If you are full of anticipation for cooler weather, cozy vibes, and autumn colors, check out my tips and tricks for when should you start decorating for fall and cute decor ideas to use for your home.
Like many, you are probably counting down the days for when the fall season rolls around, and it is time for you to decorate your home all cozy-like. In some stores, you’ll start to see fall decor coming out as early as July, and it often gets you excited about decorating.
However, if you decorate too soon, it won’t fit the season. It just won’t feel right. I mean, you can’t have pumpkins and apple cinnamon candles in your house as your family packs for a weekend at the beach. That’s just odd.
The earliest time to bring out your fall decor is around late August to early September. This is when school starts again, summer is coming to a close, and the weather starts changing. Plus, there are no major holidays in September to decorate for.
I feel that starting your fall decor around this time is best, but that doesn’t mean you can’t start buying decor as early as July, right?
Decor for the Holidays
Each season has its own unique decor and associated smells. For example, you think of the beach for summer, pumpkin for the fall, and peonies for the spring. Fall scents and decor put you in the mood for a cold evening and hot cocoa by the fire. However, fall decor can easily be incorporated into other holidays.
If you decorate in September, don’t worry about packing it all up for Halloween or Christmas. You don’t have to change too much around to have your fall decor complement other holidays around the season. You can easily use fall things (yes, even pumpkins!) with your other holiday decor.
Decorating for the Fall
The time has come for you to decorate your home. It’s the first week of September or the last week of August, and the season is starting to change from the hot summer to the chilly fall.
Let’s look at a timeline for changing your decor, inside and outside:
- Take down all of your summer home decor from inside and gather it up.
- Pack the items up into storage containers assigned for summer decor.
- Dust off your fall decor boxes and bring them out to set up.
- Find DIY ideas to try for this year’s decor.
- Go through your fall decor items and take note of anything that needs replacing, is broken, or can’t be used.
- Decide on what you’re going to replace them with newer items.
- Start distributing the decor around the home.
- Set out the new fall air fresheners and candles.
- Decorate your countertops and tables.
- Change the linens in each bedroom to make it feel cozy.
- Switch out the blankets on your couch.
- Dim the lights and light more candles.
- Bring in any summer decor from outside and put it away.
- Replace the flower pots on the porch.
- Change out the welcome mat.
- Place a fall wreath on your front door.
- Replace any items you noted down above that were broken.
- Purchase real pumpkins and flowers to use for your porch or living room.
- Use nature as decor such as pine cones, acorns, sticks, leaves, etc.
- Grab your favorite hot cocoa items.
- Buy more cozy throws! (because who doesn’t love throws?)
- Come home every day to a fall wonderland!
Decor Ideas For the Fall You’ll Love
As you create your timeline for setting up your fall decor and start to plan out what to decorate with this year, it always helps to have a bit of inspiration.
These are some of my favorite ways to decorate for the season, and some tips to go along with them!
- Decorating doesn’t have to be expensive. You don’t need to break the bank just to have a cozy home. See how you can use cheap fall decor this season! Plus, add in a fun fall DIY that costs literal dollars!
- If you have a fireplace then you need to check out this adorable way to decorate your mantel it for the fall. Having a fireplace during the cozy season is always a plus!
- With Halloween just around the corner, check out these DIY Halloween ideas to add in to celebrate the spooky holiday!
- Christmas is a holiday enjoyed by many and part of the experience is the decorations and food! It’s no secret that Christmas time is overwhelming with gifts to purchase, school ending, and family planning happening. The last thing you need to stress over are the decorations, so check out this post to help make it a little easier.
Are You Ready to Decorate?
When fall rolls around, we all get excited. There is something about this season that makes you feel cozy and comfortable. The crisp cool air, pumpkin spice smells and beverages, warm fireplaces, and family gatherings. It is a season enjoyed by many, and because of this, we all rush to put up decorations as soon as we can!
It’s never too early to plan or purchase decor for the fall, but when it comes to decorating, you may want to hold off until the first week of September. You get through the first few weeks of summer being over and fall beginning. Once you feel the air get cooler and the weather changing, you know it’s time to pack up the summer and put out the pumpkins!
For more tips and tricks for fall decor and more, check out my page. I have so many ideas for decorating for any season and you can never go wrong with a little bit of inspiration!
More Decor Posts You’ll Love
- Cheap Fall Decor Ideas For Your Home
- 57 Halloween DIYs to Try This Year
- Rustic And Simple Christmas Decor