Since we’ll be headed out of town for Thanksgiving, we decided to get ahead on our Christmas decorating last week. Seasonal decorating can seem overwhelming and stressful, but I’ve got some great tips for easy holiday decorating that will allow you to fully enjoy the season and keep your sanity (and wallet!) in check. 🙂
This post has been sponsored by Air Wick. All opinions are my own.
- Choose a theme. This year, I have been feeling the simplicity and joy of the season more than ever. I had a vision of a Rustic Christmas, complete with a flocked tree, flannel decor, a roaring fireplace and minimal ornaments. This gave me a great starting point as I shopped—I’d simply ask myself, “does this fit my theme?” if not, I put it back.
- Shop your own home. Something doesn’t have to have a Christmas tree or a red and green motif to be useful as holiday decor. Items like white plates, wooden trays and solid throws can be added in at any point of the year and fit the look you are going for.
- Layer in items. As much as I love all the cute holiday pillows I’m seeing everywhere I don’t have the budget to buy them all. I also think choosing one or two pillows as accents can stand out more and look more cohesive with your home, rather than splurging on an entire new set of pillows! I keep our home fairly neutral so that I can quickly and easily layer in new items that transform the entire look. If your looking for some inexpensive holiday items to layer in, try pillows, throws and art as a starting point.
- Appeal to the senses. Holiday decorating isn’t just about the eyes! It doesn’t feel like Christmas to me unless I have a holiday station on. I also always have a candle or scent going no matter what time of the year and now is no different! Candles add such warmth to a home, which is exactly what I was looking for this Christmas. My friends at Air Wick sent me their holiday collection to try and it smells so good! I tried out both the scented candles and the scented wax melts—it’s really hard to pick a favorite. I used the wax warmer with the Spiced Apple scent while we were getting our tree together and it made me feel like I was out in the woods chopping a fresh tree down!
- Enjoy the season. When it comes down to it, the holiday season is supposed to be about love, peace and joy. If something is too stressful, don’t do it! Light a candle, close your eyes and just relax.
Air Wick was kind enough to offer a giveaway so one of you could try their scents and fill your house with holiday spirit as well! One lucky winner will receive an Air Wick holiday product set of 4 scented candles. Entering is easy using the Rafflecopter below! Good luck! 🙂