This kids’ popsicle stick Christmas tree ornament is a cinch to make. Have a family craft time and create a bunch, then give them out as DIY gifts.
Popsicle Stick Christmas Tree
I love making crafts out of popsicle sticks. They are usually super affordable at the craft store, so I always keep my craft room stocked with them. There are so many things you can make with them. Turns out, you can make Christmas trees out of popsicle sticks too.
I wanted to create something you can make with your kids. Craft time with kids can be either pure chaos or a lot of fun. The secret is picking a craft that doesn’t involve a lot of steps. The more things they can do on their own, the easier it will be for you.
Aren’t these the cutest things ever?
Oh and another reason this craft is so amazing is that it is super cheap too. It won’t cost you very much, especially if you get the craft paper on sale.
Let your kiddos pick out their favorite paper and decorations. If you are feeling adventurous, you can even let them paint white cardstock and use that for the branches.
Take my advice and prepare for having more supplies than you think you will need. Since these are so easy to make, your kiddos will want to make a bunch of them.
And have plenty of “tree decorations” too. I used buttons and pom-poms. But you can also use foam stickers, glitter glue, beads, or ribbon.
DIY Popsicle Stick Christmas Tree Ornament
Here’s how to make your own DIY popsicle stick ornaments. I included links to Amazon in case you are missing any of the supplies. Turn on some Christmas music and have a blast!
This post contains affiliate links.
- 6×6 or 12×12 holiday patterned scrapbook paper
- Large popsicle/craft sticks
- Scissors or paper cutter
- Glue sticks and glue gun
- Ribbon or baker’s twine
- Christmas colored pom poms
How to Make These Kids’ Christmas Tree Ornaments
I also have all the steps and supplies in a printable card at the bottom of this post. But if you enjoy step-by-step pictures, here are some with a few tips in the mix too.
Step 1: Cut your scrapbook paper ½” wide and in varying lengths. You want to have 5-6 pieces that will be widest at the bottom at the smallest at the top, just like the branches on a traditional tree.
You don’t have to measure it with a ruler or anything. Just use a popsicle stick and begin cutting out strips of paper that will fit on it and look like a tree.
Step 2: Using your glue stick or glue gun, attach the pieces of paper to the craft stick. If you are going to paint the branches, you might want to do that before attaching them to the popsicle stick.
Step 3: Decorate your tree with buttons, pom poms or any other items you like. Just don’t make it too heavy or the paper “branches” will droop.
Step 4: Turn the tree over and attach your ribbon. To make sure this stays secure, you may want to use the glue gun here.
Step 5: Hang on the tree!
Watch the Video
Need a solid visual to get this craft done? No problem! Check out this video and learn exactly how to make a popsicle stick Christmas tree.
Frequently Asked Questions
As easy as this craft is, it’s ok if you run into questions or problems. Leave a comment on this post and your question might end up here in the FAQs to help others out.
What can you use if you don’t have a glue gun?
If you don’t have a glue gun, you can use white glue or glue sticks. White glue tends to be messier, so be careful! A glue stick will certainly work, but it isn’t as strong as hot glue.
So if you plan on decorating the “branches” of the tree, a glue stick might not hold it very well.
How do you personalize the ornaments?
This is my favorite part – personalizing them! There are lots of ways to make them unique and reflect your personality. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Favorite colors: Use just your favorite colors, from the scrapbook paper to the decorations.
- Team stickers: Are you a sports fan? Use your team’s colors and emblems on your ornament.
- Initials: Put your initials on the branches of the tree, or the initials of you and your partner/spouse.
- Theme: Decorate them with a theme in mind. Maybe do a fun “newlywed” theme with white colors and lace or celebrate music by drawing music notes on the branches.
Is there a way to make the branches of the tree sturdier?
Scrapbook paper tends to be pretty flimsy. If you want to add more decorations to them, you will need a stronger material. Here are a few ways to make the branches stronger and able to hold more.
- Use cardstock
- Glue the paper to cardboard first, then glue the cardboard to the popsicle stick
- Decorate popsicle sticks and glue paper to the popsicle sticks as branches
What else can I use to hang up my ornament on the tree?
I prefer to create a loop out of the decorative ribbon and hang it on the tree that way. But if you want, here are some more ways to hang your ornament on the tree.
- Dental floss
- Burlap ribbon
- Paper clip – Glue the paperclip to the popsicle stick first.
Basically, be creative. If it can create some sort of loop, you can use it to hang up the ornament.
Try Some Of These Easy Christmas Crafts
Want even more Christmas crafts? We have them!
These are so easy that you can do them with your kiddos. Keep the craft supplies out and try these next!
- Easy DIY Christmas Tree Ornaments – Here are even more easy ornaments you can make
- Easy DIY Christmas Wreath – This is so easy, your kids can each make their own wreath.
- How to Make An Easy Christmas Table for Kids – Let your children help you make a table just for them.
- 1 piece 6x6 or 12x12 Scrapbook Paper Holiday Patterned
- Large Popsicle Craft Sticks
- Hot Glue Gun
- Ribbon Holiday Patterned
- Buttons Christmas Colored
- Pom Poms Christmas Colored
- Cut 5-6 pieces of the scrapbook paper ½” wide and in varying lengths.
- Using the glue gun, attach the pieces of paper to the craft stick.
- Decorate the tree ornament with buttons, pom poms or any other items you like.
- Turn the tree over and attach your ribbon with some glue.
- Hang on the tree!